It's been very hot here the last few days, up into the three digits. (°F) We've still been out on our bikes to work, to the park and to friends' houses, but with an eye to keeping everyone safe in the heat.
In the summer pannier when riding with babies/ kids we carry some essential hot weather goodies that keep us all rolling along. We have:
- Thermos bottles of cold water
- Plenty of hats and sunscreen
- Lots of extra diapers, Balmex tube and wipe material
- Some extra clothes and plastic shopping bag in case we get somewhere we can get wet (in Chicago there are wonderful playground sprinklers and the lake to jump into) Sometimes a swim diaper too.
- maybe a small towel or two (depending on how many kids you might have with you)
- Extra snacks and some juice bags. For non nurser babies extra small person food.
- a tool kit and pump just in case, including a little first aid kit
Extra water and a favorite snack for nursing moms help too if you are out for your first summer rides as a family. Surprisingly, moving on the bike is often cooler than walking or public transportation, especially if you are coasting a lot!
We are not shy about spending days at the cool bookstore, museum, library, or just plain home on these baking hot afternoons. Moderation is our habit when it gets extremely hot. Whenever we ride in summer we are game for an ice cream or gelato stop. Hot days are the perfect excuse to duck happily into an air conditioned coffee shop.
Hope you are staying comfortable in the heat and enjoying these sunny summer days on two wheels!